Image courtesy: Arun Suresh.
Lawshadweep is a group of thirty six islands. The coral reefs are one of the major attractions of this place. People all over the globe throng here for the natural and the scenic beauty. Though there are thirty six islands but not all of them are habitable, most of the islands are inhabitable and the rest requires passes and permits from the concerned authorities. Let’s have a look at its unique features that you should know:
1. The Islands of Lakshadweep
These islands are Indian union territory and this is considered to be one of one of the major tourist attraction places. Malayalam is the spoken the local people and it is the predominant language among the mass. The islands are mostly multi lingual.
- The movements of the visitors are restricted to specific places and the rest of the island is not accessible by the visitors. There are few mosques in Kavaratti island, as it the most developed island among the lot.
2. Gastronomical Delights
Predominate local food of these islands is Keralite. But the multi cuisine variety provided by the islands will satisfy any gourmet. It is like feasting everyday with something new, the platters are always filled with delightful surprises.
- The seafood is obviously something to look forward to when someone is in any of these islands, and almost all their food items have some element of coconut in them.
3. The Flora and Fauna and the Mesmerizing Ecology
The age old coral reefs are something which everybody is fascinated about in these islands. And the fleet of exclusive and the exquisite fishes and plants. The sharks the jelly fishes, the turtle of different shapes and sizes and also the sea weed and the shells are some of the prominent elements which make this place this attractive and luring for travelers all across the world.
- The best time to visit these islands is between the months of September to march, during this time period the island remains filled with people all around the globe, who come here for the beach and the sun and the glittering sand.
4. The Position and the Location of the Islands
According to the data provided by the government of India on their official website the Lakwshadeep islands is a group of thirty six islands and it is India’s smallest union territory. These islands cover an area if about thirty two square kilometer.
- There are around twelve atolls and ten inhabited islands and around five submerged banks. These islands are two hundred twenty to around four hundred and forty kilometers away from the coastal city of Kochi.
5. The Average Climate
These islands have a tropical climate and the average temperature lies between twenty six degrees Celsius to thirty two degrees Celsius. In these islands the month of April and May are considered to be the hottest month in the year. Nonetheless, the climatic condition remains a sultry and humid throughout the year.
- Monsoon takes place here between the months of May to September. During the monsoon period the ships and other forms of water transportation remains strictly prohibited.
6. The Places to Visit and Major Attractions
The British built lighthouse is a major tourist attraction of these islands, Kavaratti, Kadmat, Minicoy, Kalpeni, Agatti, and Bangaram are some of the islands that are open for the tourists and other people to visit. There are around fifty two mosques in Kavaratti, which includes the very famous Ujra mosque. These mosques are built around the seventeenth century and now are considered to be true pieces of art.
- The architecture is still spellbinding and many people over the globe come down to these islands for these architectural brilliance.
7. The Government and the Local Administrations
The Lakshadweep constitutes a single district. And the administrator of this place is chosen by the president of the country. Mr. Farooq Khan is the present administrator of this place. The territory has around ten subdivisions.
- This union territory comes under the Kerala high court.
Though people of different religion live and coexist together but undoubtedly Islam is the predominant religion of Lakshadweep. During the Muslim festivals the mosques remains overcrowded and a holiday spirit is prevalent in the air. According to statistics, around ninety percent of the people of these islands are following Islam and the rest of the religious groups include the Hindus, and the Christians. Ubaidullah is considered to be the one who founded Islam in Lakshadweep. Almost all the Muslim population of the island belongs to Sunni section of this religion. And others sections like the Wahabis and the Ahamadiyas are found in small clusters and are living almost like minorities.
- In spite of this almost all the religious festivals are celebrated with the utmost reverence. The Buddhists settlements existed around six and seven century in this place according to many sources.
9. The History of the Islands
According to the many sources the early history of these islands are mostly unwritten. What is now constructed as history is actually the oral folk lore and anecdotes of many kinds. Cheraman Perumal was the last king of Kerala. And many believe that the first settlements in these islands took place during his reign. It is also believed that this king converted to Islam. According to archeological sources, Amini, Kalpeni Andrott, Kavaratti, and Agatti are considered to the be the oldest islands where people dwelled.
- During the period of British colonization these grtoup of islands were a part of the Madras Presidency.
10. Tourist Attractions
The lighthouse in Minicoy Island is built around the year 1885 and is about three hundred foot tall; this remains a major attraction all throughout the year. The Kite surfing in Kadamat island is a must do for almost all the tourists visiting these islands. The local food and the other delicacies are very much influenced by the local people and their habit and their custom.
- Scuba diving in Kalpeni island is very famous and the almost the only way to explore the sea life and the marine ecology. There are always the PADI scuba divers to teach the basics within few minutes.
All these variations of Lakshadweep has called so many tourists to this island every year. To experience the very essence of the place, now is the best time to get the perfect options for the same.
Thanks for visiting 10 Tips!