Image courtesy: Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission Belur Math.
There are many popular festivals in Kolkata. But, the festival of Durga Puja happens to be the most special festival in Kolkata. There is some kind of energetic feeling among the people whenever Durga Puja is around the corner. The fancy Bengali tradition and culture is reflected in the festival of Durga Puja. A Bengali never miss celebrating the Durga Puja festival, does not matter whichever part of the world they are. Let us check 10 things you MUST know about the Durga Puja festival in Kolkata:
The Dhaak is basically a drum like musical instrument, which is played during the Durga Puja. The Dhaak is been wore in the neck and played with the two drumstick’s. The sound’s of Dhaak creates great energy and enthusiasm in the devotees visiting the Durga Puja. All the the environment near the pandal simply becomes very devotional with the playing of Dhaak.
- Dhaak has now become almost an integral part of the Durga Puja
- The youngsters enjoy more whenever the Dhaak is played
2. Awesome Pandal
The pandals are decorated very beautifully during the Durga Puja. Many of the different themes are being made while designing the pandals. Every pandal try to make the best decoration every year in Kolkata. The awesome pandal simply enchants the hearts of many of the devotees coming here.
- Many of the foreign visitors are amazed to looks at various decorations in pandal
- There are many of the donator who donate nicely for decorations of pandal
3. Dhunuchi Naach
The Dhunuchi Naach is one of the main attractions of the Durga Puja in Kolkata. The dance is performed by holding earthen lamps is both hands with a burning coconut shell in it. The dance becomes fast as the beats in the dance goes fast. Many of the men, women and children participate in it with great excitement. People gather in large numbers to watch this dance.
- Apart from two hands some people also hold the earthen lamps on head or in mouth
- Many people practice for long days for these spectacular dance
4. Traditional style dressing
The traditional Bengali style of the dressing is an important feature in the Durga Puja in Kolkata. The women’s generally wear a saree with red border particularly during the Ashtami. The men wear the white kurta with some nice looking embroidery. The dressing style looks simply very amazing during the Durga Puja in Kolkata.
- Many of the other regions in India like to wear Bengali traditional dress during the Durga Puja festival
- Many of the Bollywood movies do show the Bengali traditional dresses on Durga Puja ocassions
5. Kumari Puja
Kumari Puja is celebrated on the eight day (Astami) of the Durga Puja. Here a small girl between the age group of four to seven years is been worshiped. She is being considered as the human incarnation of Goddess. Various devotional things like flowers, incense sticks and sweets are being offered to the girl. The people have devotion to this small girl and seek her blessings.
- The Kumari Puja celebrated in the Belur Math, which was in initiated by Swami Vivekananda is very popular here
- This one of the most ancient tradition in the Bengal
6. Street Food Fun
Around the Durga Puja days one can find many of the street food stalls been set up near the different pandals. There are many of the nice street foods ranging from Rasogulla to Bhelpuri and all the popualar Bengali dishes are served here. Apart from the areas nearby pandals, one can also find the food street stalls running all across the Kolkata city. The people really enjoy different street food here.
- Fuchka and jilipi are most popular street food during theses days in Kolkata
- The rates of the dishes are also low during the Durga Puja days
7. Sandhi Puja
The Sandhi Puja is performed when the Ashtami ends and the Navmi begins during the Durga Puja day. This Puja is a very special one as many of the lamps are lighted. On some places total 108 lamps are being lighted. Then various sweets are been offered and flowers are offered to the Goddess. The Sandhi Puja really looks very wonderful during the Durga Puja.
- Sandhi Puja reflects the defeat of the evil and triumph of the good.
- During the Sandhi Puja many people are gathered in the pandal
8. Attending Functions and Rituals
The Durga Puja being one of the biggest festivals in Kolkata. The people do attend many of the different functions and rituals. Every ritual is having its own importance in the Bengali tradition. The people really have nice moments during this fabulous days of Durga Puja.
- Every functions in different pandals are amazing
- Many of the people have come up with different ideas in the Durga Puja function
9. Sindur Khela
The Sindhur Khela is celebrated during the 10th day (Dasami) of the Durga Puja. The married women of every age group smear with vermillion. They come in traditional Bengali white saree with a red border on it. Many of the sweets are also offered to the Goddess. Many of the women participate in this event enthusiastically.
- This is one of the very old tradition in the Bengali culture.
- The Sindhur Khela tradition can be easily reflected in many of the Bengali and Bollywood movies
After celebrating the Durga Puja with great enthusiasm, the idol of Goddess Durga is immersed with very big devotion and heavy heart. The immersion is done in water by taking the blessing of the Goddess Durga. Many people have a very emotional moment during the immersion of the idol. All these days of the Durga Puja is celebrated with great devotion.
- Babu Ghat is a popular place in Kolkata for idol immersion of Goddess Durga after festival
- The people gather in large numbers during the immersion
Thanks for visiting 10 Tips!