Image courtesy: Jyotirmai.
West Bengal is a beautiful state that lies in the eastearn side of India. It is located very uniquely between the Himalayas in the north and the Bay of Bengal in south. When one thinks of the West Bengal one easily remembers the famous sweet dish “Rasagulla”. West Bengal has many beautiful places which attracts the tourists from all around the world. The cultural performance in West Bengal is also amazing which is liked by all. It will be interesting to visit the many attractive places in West Bengal. Here, let us take a look at the 10 Best Places to Visit in West Bengal:
Kolkata is a very famous city in India as well as in the whole world. The city has some of the very awesome old British era buildings, wonderful gardens, large and small industries, attractive gardens, delicious sweets, etc. There are many of the museums in the Kolkata city which puts light on the historical items. Kolkata city shows the overall reflection of the West Bengal culture. Many of the tourist come in large numbers in Kolkata.
- Kolkata is the third most productive metropolitan city in India
- Howrah Bridge is the most popular tourist destination here
Digha is a very popular beach in the West Bengal. This beach has many of the amusing things which have been luring many of the tourists. Usually the summer season in West Bengal is very hot, however the beaches like Digha helps to keep the climate cool in the Digha. Apart from this, the Marine Aquarium & Research Centre and Lord Shiva Temple at Chandaneswar are another attractions for the tourists. Many of the tourists visit Digha in large numbers.
- Digha was earlier known as the “Beerkul”
- The casuarina plantations in Digha are one of the rare plantations
Shantiniketan is a very cool and clam place in West Bengal, which has many of the memories of the great Rabindranath Tagore. In the year 1863, an ashram was founded here and the Brahmo Samaj was initiated from this place. The tourists can visit this place and spend some relaxing time here. The gardens and parks located in the surrounding areas is also very worth visiting places.
- The earlier name of this place was “Bhubandanga “
- The Visva-Bharti University is a well-known university located here
Darjeeling is one of the very hot destinations of the tourists. The lush green mountains, spectacular view of Himalayas, snow covered regions are the prime attractions of the people here. There are many of the regions in Darjeeling where one can easily see the large tree plantation which are really attractive. Large number of tourists visit Darjeeling in vacations.
- “Kangchenjunga” the third highest mountain in the world can be easily seen from here
- Lloyd’s Botanical Garden has many of the different species of plants
Kalimpong is a popular hill station in the West Bengal. Kalimpong has some of the very outstanding valleys with many of the swift flowing rivers.The climate in Kalimpong is very cool which suites perfectly for the tourism. This place produces large farms of ginger. There are many of the small and big orchids here. Apart from that tourist can also see many of the tribal groups like Bhutia, Sherpas, Limbus, Rais, etc. Kalimpong is a very cool destination in West Bengal.
- The name Kalimpong is derived from “Kalenpung” which means “Hillock of Assemblage”
- This place is having more rich practice of cactus cultivation
Sunderban’s is one of the very well-known places in the world. Why not ? This is the world’s largest delta and a large mangrove forest region. Sunderban’s is surrounded by the Raimangal river, Harinbhahga river and Muriganga river. This place is very rich in floral and faunal diversity. Apart from that, Sunderban’s is a large Tiger reserve forest and one can easily see the Royal Bengal Tiger here. Sunderban’s is visited by large number tourists.
- The meaning of the word Sunderban is “”beautiful forest”
- UNESCO has named Sunderbans in the list of World Heritage Site
Murshidabad is located in the banks of the river Bhagirathi. Before the British Era, this region was an important location from the historic point of view. Murshidabad is an attractive place with some of the nice plain regions, permanent swamps and marvelous hill-lock regions. The Hazarduari Palace Museum, Jalangi River, Nasipur Palace, Jahankosha Canon, etc. are some of the prime attractions of the tourists coming here.
- Murshidabad is famous for the “Murshidabad Silk”
- Agriculture, handicrafts and sericulture are the main occupation of the people here
Siliguri is a very famous tourist destination lying between Jalpaiguri and Darjeeling district. The amazing views of the Himalayan mountains makes the people go crazy. The tea gardens and the thick forest are very fabulous. The tourists here are attracted by different spots like Kali Mandir, Chilapata Forests, Coronation Bridge and Mahananda Weir Wildlife Sanctuary.
- There are large populations of Bhutanese and Tibetans people staying here
- Siliguri is the third largest city in the West Bengal
Bishnupur is a very attractive place which has many of the historical palaces and temples. The place is well-known for Malla Shree Krishna Raslilla and balucheri sarees. There are variety of temples here which are visited by many of the people. The tourists visit in large numbers in Bishnupur. The transportation network is also good here.
- This place is also known as “Mallabhum”
- The Bishnupur Mela held in the month of December is very famous
Kamarpurkar is a very nice place for tourism which is rich in many of the ancient elements. There are many of the wonderful temples, buildings and many attractive monuments. This place is very famous as great Ramkrishna Paramahamsa was born here. There are many of the spectacular ponds and tanks, easily taking the attention of the tourists. The tourists can really get some of the devotional peace here. Karmarpurkar is being visited by large number of tourists.
- The canal Bhutir-Khal is very near from this place which flows in a Zig-zag way
- Vishalakshi Temple is dedicated to goddess Vishalakshi which is believed to fulfill the wishes of her devotees
Thanks for visiting 10 Tips!