Image courtesy: Soham Banerjee.
Bengalaru is one of the most developed metropolitan cities in in India. Its tremendous progress in IT sector has also gained it the name as the “Silicon Valley of India”. Bengalaru is really a very busy city where people have a very strict work schedule. There are many of the places around Bengaluru where people can just go in the weekends and holidays, to have some relaxing moments here. These weekend destinations around Bengaluru consists of Waterfalls, mountains, cultural places, etc. These places really rejuvenate the minds of people visiting here. Let’s see some of the 10 popular weekend destinations around Bengaluru:
Srirangapatna is a very beautiful place near the Bengaluru. This place is around 120 km from Bengaluru. It has some of the beautiful picturesque places. This place is religiously and culturally very important. The beautiful Kaveri river flowing through all the Srirangapatna area makes the place have a very panoramic view. The Ranganathaswamy temple is also visited by many people. This place is easily liked by any of the tourists coming here.
- Shivanasamudra Falls is very amazing which is the second highest waterfall in India
- The great Vijayanagar empire also gave significant importance to this place
2. Biligiriranga Hills
The Biligirirangana Hills is very nice destination lying around 180 km around the Bengaluru city. This place is very nicely located at the confluence of Western and Eastern Ghats. This place is also having Sathyamangalam Wildlife Sanctuary, which has been one of the main attractions of people visiting here. This wildlife sanctuary is equipped with nice floral and fauna diversity.
- This place is named after Biligiriranganatha Swamy Temple located here
- This place is also home to semi-nomadic Soliga tribe people
Somnathpur is a very beautiful place well-known for the temple of Prasanna Chennakeshava. This temple has a very beautiful architecture, which comprises of there beautiful vimanas and three shrines. The idols of Keshava, Janardhana and Venugopala looks very awesome here. This architecture of temple reflects the Hoysala architectural beauty. This place is visited by many of the tourists.
- In the year 1268, Somnatha had built this temple
- Archaeological Survey of India has included the temple in the heritage site of India
4. Hogenakkal Falls
The Hognekkal Falls is a very awesome site situated just 148 km away from the Bengaluru. This waterfall receives the water from the Kaveri river. The Carbonatite rocks situated here looks very amazing. Many of the youngsters come here in the weekends and have some enjoyable moments. This place surely refreshes ones mood very enthusiastically.
- This place is also called ‘Niagara Falls of India’
- The Government is planning to make this water for drinking purpose
5. Horsley Hills
Horsley Hills is a very wonderful hill station which is situated in the Andhra Pradesh state. Comparatively this place is a little longer distance from Bengaluru, however this place still remains the hot destinations of many of the people from Bengaluru. This place has very lush green valleys equipped with cool and pleasant atmosphere. There are many of the attractive resorts too here making the place more worthwhile to stay.
- This place is perfectly suitable to visit throughout the year
- The place is also known as “Horsleykonda”
6. Balmuri and Edumuri Waterfalls
The Balmuri and Edmuri waterfalls is one of the very marvelous destinations situated around 135 km from the Bengaluru. This waterfall has a swift flowing water falls very gently giving some enjoyable moments for the people coming here. Many of the water types of games are played by the people visiting here. There is an ancient Lord Ganesha temple nearby the Edmuri Waterfalls which is visited by most of the people coming here.
- These waterfalls are not natural waterfalls, they are actually man made waterfalls
- People from Bengaluru and Mysore both visit in large numbers here
The Lepakshi village is actually situated in the Andhra Pradesh state which is around 120 km away from the Bengaluru. This place got importance during the Vijaynagar empire. This place is very famous for the Veerbhadra Temple here. This temple has three important shrines of Shiva, Vishnu and Veerabhadra. This temple is architecturally very fabulously designed. Many people visit this place in great numbers.
- The temples have beautifully Mural paintings
- There are other temple nearby too like Papanatheswara, Srirama, Raghunatha and Durga
Shravanabelagola is a very popular place located around 135 away from the Bengaluru. Shravanabelagola is well-known for the Jain temple and has been one of the major temple for Jain pilgrimage. The 58 feet great Bahubali statue is one of the main attractions of the people coming here. Various people from the Bengaluru visit this place during the weekends.
- At the top of hill you can find Gomateswara Temple
- The great king Chandragupta Maurya had died at this place
Mysore is a very nice destination which can be easily visited during the weekends. It located just few hours from the Bengaluru city. Mysore happens to be the second most developed city in the Karnataka state. Mysore has many of the places to visit here like palaces, temples, museums and gardens, Mysore is culturally very rich city. Tourists in large numbers do visit this place.
- Mysore was earlier ruled by the Wodeyar family
- This place is also called as Cultural Capital of Karnataka
10. Yelagiri Hills
The Yelagiri hills are one of the very great destinations situated around 170 km from the Bengaluru. This place many of the spectacular views which making the weekends more enthusiastic. There are also small and big waterfalls here which are really amazing. There are many rose gardens and orchards which looks very wonderful. This place is visited by many of the people.
- The Swamimalai Hill is located at great height of 4338 ft
- This place was earlier known as “Vellore”
Thanks for visiting 10 Tips!