Image courtesy: piviso.
Uttar Pradesh has a great importance from the tourism point of view in India. It is the birthplace of Lord Rama and Lord Krishna so it is an incredible place for religious tourism. Also, Uttar Pradesh is home to the historically popular cities like Agra, Mathura, Vrindavan, Varanasi and many more. Here we are listing top 10 places that are worth exploring in UP.
Agra is the land of Taj Mahal which is one of the seven wonders of the world. Taj Mahal showcases the best Mughal architectures in India. Indeed Agra is an important city to explore history and architectural structures. Agra Fort, Jama Mosque, Itmad Ud Daula, Soor Sarovar and Mariam’s Tomb are some of the most popular tourism attractions in Agra.
- Agra is situated on the bank of holy River Yamuna
- Taj Mahal is one of the best UNESCO World Heritage Sites
The holy city Mathura is believed to be the birthplace of Krishna so it is referred to as “Krishnabhoomi” and is one of the most visited places in UP. Mathura is home to various temples and the holy river Yamuna flows past the city and 25 ghats are lined on this sacred river where you can see a lot of people taking a holy dip on these ghats.
- In the past, Mathura was Buddhist center too, housing around 20 monasteries
- Krishna Janma Bhoomi Mandir, Mathura Museum, Jama Masjid, Dwarkadhish Temple, Kusum Sarovar, Kans Qila and Radha Kund are most famous tourism spots in Mathura
Vrindavan has a lot of religious significance especially among Hindus. It is home to hundreds of ancient temples and most of them belong to the Lord Krishna and Radha. Not only Indians but thousands of devotees from all around the world visit this holy city. Banke Bihari temple, ISKCON temple, Prem Temple, Kesi Ghat and Shahji Temple are the most popular places in Vrindavan.
- Vrindavan is situated near Mathura so tourists should cover both these places together.
- Best places to visit in Vrindavan
Lucknow is the capital city of Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. More commonly it is known as ‘The city of Nawabs’ and really has royal touch in literally everything over there. City is located on the bank of Gomti River and earlier it was the capital of Nawabs of Awadh. The city is home to various historical monuments and structures.
- Bara Imambara, Hazratganj, Lucknow Zoo, Rumi Darwaza and Chhota Imambara are main tourist attractions in the city
- Lucknow is popular for extraordinary Awadhi cuisines, tradition, heritage as well as culture.
Varanasi is the land of spiritualism and is popular worldwide for religious tourism. The city is also known by names Kashi and Banaras. The city is situated on pious river- The Ganges. Varanasi is believed to be created by the Lord Shiva and thus is said to be one of the oldest cities in the world. Varanasi is popular for its ghats and ancient temples.
- The city is most important pilgrim center in India
- Kashi Vishwanath Temple, Sarnath, Ramnagar Fort, Archaeological Museum and various ghats are popular attractions in the city
Sarnath is the holy land where Gautama Buddha gave his very first sermon, so it is an important pilgrimage center in UP where the Buddhist devotees from around the world travel every year. Sarnath is located merely 10km away from Varanasi so both these places can easily be covered together.
- Sarnath is famous for ancient stupas and other historical structures
- Deer Park, Sarnath Museum, Thai Temple and Tibetan Temple are some of the popular places to explore in Sarnath
7. Fatehpur Sikri
Fatehpur Sikri is one of the best examples that showcases the bond of Indian, Islamic and Persian architecture. It s a historic jewel founded by a famous Mughal emperor- Akbar in 16th century. This small city is located very close to Agra and is home to glorious architectures and sightseeing locations.
- It is a well planned city based on Persian principles
- Panch Mahal, Diwan-i-Khas, Buland Darwaza, Johbhai Palace, Lotus Throne and Khwabgah are best tourist attractions in Fatehpur Sikri
Located in extreme south of UP, Jhansi has a historical significance where Rani Lakshmibai started first war of independence against British rule in India. Jhansi is a perfect place to have a glimpse into the history. Jhansi Fort, Rani Mahal, Government Museum and Maharaja Gangadhar Rao Ki Chatri are main attractions in Jhansi.
- The city is located on the bank of Pahuj River
- Best places to visit in Jhansi
Allahabad is yet another pilgrim spot to visit in UP. The city offers a perfect blend of religious, historical tour so it attracts thousands of tourists annually from around the world. You can explore beautiful historical monuments in the city. Allahabad houses ‘Triveni’ that is the meeting point of three holy rivers: Ganges, Yamuna and Saraswati.
- In ancient era, Allahabad was called as Prayag
- Khusro Bagh, Triveni Sangam, Allahabad Fort, Patalpuri Temple And Akshaya Vat and Anand Bhavan are best tourist attractions in Allahabad
Ayodhya is another pious city that is valuable to Hinduism followers because this ancient city is said to be the birthplace of Lord Rama. It is home to a lot of ancient temples. Not only Hinduism, but other religions like Jainism, Buddhism and Islam also got into significance in Ayodhya.
- Ram ki Paidi at Ayodhya is a popular ghat where devotees take a holy bath
- Best places to visit in Ayodhya
Thanks for visiting 10 Tips!