Image courtesy: Sharada Prasad CS.
The state of Meghalaya lies in the eastern region of India. This is the most wettest state in whole India. More than half of this region is covered with forest. This state has some of the beautiful spots to visit. The different tribal groups, wonderful waterfalls and lakes are very fantastic. English being the official language of this region, this state is one of the most visited states by tourist. However, it is necessary that while traveling in Meghalaya one should take care of few things. We have here few tips which will certainly make your tour in Meghalaya safe and wonderful. Let’s see some of the 10 travel tips for Meghalaya:
1. Do not travel lonely in unknown areas
Meghalaya is definitely a very hot destination for the trek loving people, as most of the region is covered with forest. It feels very amazing to go out there in forest and mountainous areas to have some feel of nature. However, most of the forest region is dense where the new going person is more prone to losing their route and landing in other troubles. So, it is better that you go out in groups to enjoy this adventurous place.
- More than half of the region in this state is covered with forest
- Many of the tourists had experienced the loss in their route while traveling lonely
2. Carry proper ID proofs
Occasional checking do occur in some of the North East states in India. One can find some checking also in the state like Meghalaya. The tourist who does not posses the proper Id proof has to face certain problems. However, if you are having proper Id proof with you while traveling then your tour will be really carefree.
- The Id proofs like Pan Card, Aadhar Card and Driving License are the best Id Proofs
- Many of the tourist had faced the checkings
3. Take extra protection in monsoon
Meghalaya is one of the wettest region in the whole world. The tourist really have one of their epic journey in their life in the monsoon season here. It rains heavily in the Meghalaya. So, one should take all the necessary things which will protect you from the heavy rains here. Also, do carry the umbrella, raincoats whenever you go out for traveling.
- Be careful while travel in the steep areas as they are more slippery in the monsoon season
- Mawsynram and Cherrapunji are the most wettest place in the whole world
4. Know the local roads properly
Though the roads in Meghalaya are not larger in width due to the mountainous area, however they are well-built. Another things regarding the roads in Meghalya are that they are a little confusing. It is difficult for the new people to know where exactly the next road will go. It is only the local people who have the proper knowledge of the roads here. So, do not take any road if you are not aware of the roads.
- There are little criss-cross roads in the Meghalaya which are very confusing
- Many of the tourists have forgotten their way while traveling in Meghalaya
5. Be careful of military actions
There are some political problems in some of the regions in the Meghalaya. So, the military actions are very common in the Meghalaya. So, the tourist should keep track of the daily local news in Meghalaya and try to know whether there is any of the problems going in some region. The tourist also need to find the guidelines led down by the tourism department in Meghalaya.
- There is no need to worry much regarding the military actions here, as the military officials are much friendly and cooperative with the tourists
- It is recommended that the tourists should keep their necessary id proofs ready in such situations
6. Do not spoil the public places
Apart from the natural beauty, the Meghalaya is also well-known for the cleanliness. Here you can easily find many of the clean roads, market places and all the public places. The tourist should be extra careful regarding the cleanliness and they should ensure that they do not spoil the public places. Sometimes the people spoiling places are even fined. So keep the region more clean as possible.
- Many of the tourists have really appreciated the cleanliness in this region
- Government of Meghalaya has also taken extra steps to maintain the cleanliness of the state
7. Taste the local food
When you travel in the North East states in India, you will surely get to see some of the amazing places here. However, when it comes to the food you will definitely get some of the nice and distinct food to eat here. There are many of the different dishes in Meghalaya which may be or may not be liked by the different tourists here. So, it is always better you know regarding the food here. Do prefer the food which can be comfortable for you.
- Some of the local dishes here are Doh Khlieh, Nahkham, Jadoh, etc.
- Many of the tourists like the different dishes here
8. Hire a genuine travel guide
There are many of the spots in Meghalaya which are really worth seeing for the travelers. The common regret that many of the tourist generally experienced here is that their inability to visit maximum amazing destination in Meghalaya, due to limited time and the location of spots at long distance. Here, hiring a proper travel guide can help you greatly to visit maximum places by guiding you to a shortcut in routes. They will also acquaint you regarding the specialties of each place.
- Cherrapunji is one of the most visited places by tourist in Meghalaya
- It is recommended that one should guide a known or trusted travel guide here
9. Safeguard your luggage
Wherever you visit in Meghalaya, it is always better that you safeguard your luggage properly. There are some of the locations in the Meghalaya where the theif are very active, they always try to target the luggage of the tourists. Also, when you book a room in the hotels, always see to it that you lock the rooms in the hotels properly. It is always better to not trust an unknown person.
- There are some of the tourists who had lost their luggage due to their negligence
- Do not keep big amount of cash in you bags and pockets
10. Many of the regions does not have mobile connectivity
Meghalaya being an area which is covered mostly by the forest area, their are some of the points in Meghalaya which have very low range or no range at all. Many of the tourist are not aware of this fact and they land in trouble when they want to make an urgent call or are expecting urgent call while traveling. So, tourist should make all the necessary calls wherever the network of the phone is there.
- Many of the tourists have faced the network problems while traveling in Meghalaya
- While visiting any place here it is always better to know regarding the availability of the phone network here
Thanks for visiting 10 Tips!