Image courtesy: Rajesh Dutta.
Meghalaya happens to be one of the most attractive destinations for tourists visiting from all over the world. Meghalaya is situated in the northeastern part of India. The dense forests, attractive scenery, awesome valleys and waterfalls have always made many a traveler crazy. During the British era, the British authorities used to call it ‘Scotland of the East’. Such is this land, gifted by tremendous natural beauty. There are many places in Meghalaya which are very wonderful and worth visiting. Let us see some of the 10 Best Places to Visit in Meghalaya:
Cherrapunji is a globally well-known place. For many years, this place was known as the wettest place in the world, as it receives rainfall throughout the year. However, now it is the second wettest place just next to Mawsynram. This place has a wonderful landscape, with greenery seen all over. Many tourists really feel very relaxed when they visit this place.
- The Seven Sister Falls is a very attractive site in Cherrapunji
- The word Cherrapunji is derived from the word “Sohra”, which later came to be pronounced as ‘Cherra’ and finally as Cherrapunji
2. Laitlum Canyon
Laitlum Canyons is truly a very attractive tourist destination, which has some of the really fantastic hilly areas. This seems to be the perfect destination for trekking enthusiasts, who can get to see some heart touching views here. The hills with high altitudes are beautiful. The sunrise and sunset moments are the most beautiful and attractive ones to be experienced here.
- It is advisable that you should have a good travel guide, as the roads here are a little tricky
- The Lwai Falls is an attractive spot here which is worth visiting
Williamnagar is a nice destination for trekking enthusiasts. Here one can find some of the beautiful hilly areas, lush green scenes which are very pleasing on the eyes. Nature lovers often come to this place to have a glimpse of the natural beauty of this place. One can even see many different species of birds here. Many tourists like visiting this place frequently.
- Some of the interesting places to see in Williamnagar are Simsang River, Jadi Dare Park, Chibok Dare etc.
- The township built in Williamnagar is very well-planned
4. Ialong Park
Ialong Park is a really ‘worth visiting’ destination in Meghalaya. One can find beautiful hills along with long flat patches of lands here. The swift flowing rivers look so attractive that it easily soothes many of the tired minds. Ialong Park is really a wonderful place in Meghalaya. Tourists in large numbers visit this place to experience some enjoyable moments here.
- The Meghalaya state government has taken various steps to preserve the natural environment here
- The Myntdu River has a very attractive meandering flow which is loved by tourists
5. All Saints Church
The All Saints Church is a very attractive place to visit in Meghalaya. The church has been designed in a very attractive way, which can easily be liked by anyone seeing it. The natural beauty around the Church is also very attractive. The State Central Library is very near to this church where you can spend some peaceful moments.
- This is the oldest church built during the British era, however it got damaged in 1897 and was rebuilt in 1902
- Many people visit the church regularly
6. Mawsmai Cave
If you want to enjoy nature and the thrills associated with it, then this is probably the perfect place to visit. The Mawsmai cave is very thrilling and grabs the attention of many of the tourists here. There are some criss-cross narrow paths in this cave which gives a fantastic experience. One can even see beautiful stalactites and stalagmites in the Mawsmai Caves, adding to the attraction of this caves.
- This cave has only one entry point and one exit point
- Many foreign tourists also come to visit this wonderful gift of nature
7. Umiam Lake
Umiam Lake is one of the most visited places in the state of Meghalaya. This lake is formed by the reservoir created for the dam built here. This lake provides water to a wide area of this region. This lake looks like the Scottish water bodies. There are many water sports available to be enjoyed in this lake like boating, scooting, water cycling, kayaking, etc which attracts tourists to this place. The tourists have a wonderful time here.
- The Umiam Lake looks a little different in summer season, as the water dries up and the bottom can be seen
- The rising population nearby the lake area is a thing of concern
8. Balpakram National Park
If you like to have grand views of nature and also some thrill, then Balpakram National Park is the best place for that in Meghalaya. This national park is situated near the famous Garo hills. The wonderful gorges and the canyons look really amazing. Different wildlife varieties can be seen here with animals like elephant, tiger, rhinoceros, Indian bison, etc. The tourists seem really satisfied and happy whenever they visit this place.
- Due to its panaromic view, this place is also known as “abode of perpetual winds”
- The rare “pitcher plant” is found in this place
9. Mawlynnong Village
The Mawlynnong village in Meghalaya is one of the main attractions, as this village was voted the cleanest village in India. Very rarely you will find any dust and dirt in the village. All the places in the village seem to be recently cleaned. The lush green vegetation easily mesmerizes all travelers coming here.
- The Mawlynnong waterfall is very fantastic and attracts many tourists
- You can find a large number of betel nuts in this region
10. Don Bosco Centre for Indigenous Culture
The Don Bosco Centre in Meghalaya is an attractive place. Here, one can find a wonderful library, where a wide range of books can be found. This library is very advantageous for the people who want to research on some of the local subjects. The tourists are seen visiting this place very often. The tourists also like to spend time in this place with interest.
- The Don Bosco Centre in Meghalaya also reflects many of the different cultural aspects of North East India.
- Each year the number of tourists visiting this place is increasing
Thanks for visiting 10 Tips!