Image courtesy: Priyesh Balakrishnan
Odisha is an ancient state in India, with a rich cultural heritage. Odiya is the most spoken language in Odisha. The ancient Kalinga kingdom is situated in Odisha itself. The state is having variety of temples with great architectural beauty. There are various rivers flowing the Odisha like Rushikulya, Mahanandi, Brahmani, Baitarani, Budhabalanga, Subarnarekha, etc. There are many of the wonderful places in Odisha, which has been attracting many of the tourists from all over the world. So let’s see some of the 10 best places to visit in Odisha:
1. Jagannath Temple, Puri
Jagannath temple is one of the Char dham Hindu sites, situated in the Puri region.This temple is dedicated to Lord Krishna. The chariot festival or Rath Yatra, is very famous all over the world. The temple is very nice architecturally built, with four entrance doors in four directions.The temple is opened only between 5 am to 12 midnight. So, a person can enter the temple within this time frame only. This being one of the holiest Hindu place, people from all over the world visit here.
- The four Char Dham places in India are Rameswaram, Badrinath, Puri and Dwarka
- The Jagannath temple has four distinct structure which are Deula, Mukhashala, Nata Mandir, Bhoga Mandapa
Bhubaneshwar is the capital city of the Odisha state. The city is very well-developed both culturally and economically. Bhubaneshwar is also called as the temple city of India, as this city has most of the temples here. The temples built here are architecturally wonderful and has been built very nicely. The climate of the Bhubaneshwar city is very beautiful and comfortable.
- Some of the well-known temples here are Mukteshwar temple, Lingaraja temple, Parsurameswara temple and many more
- The Chandak Wildlife Sanctuary is another attractive place here, where most of the tourist do visit
Cuttack is one of the well-known and ancient cities in India. It is one of the main commercial city of Odisha now. The city name Cuttack is derived from the word Fort. The city is located very beautifully between the two rivers of Kathajodi and Mahanadi rivers. Apart from that, there are many of the attractive and picturesque destinations for the tourists here.
- The Cuttack city is also known as “Millenium City” and “Silver City”
- The city has recently established many of the business here
4. Lingaraja Temple
Lingaraja temple is a very famous and very old temple, which been visited by many of the tourists. Somavamsi dynasty may have built this temple in the olden days. The temple is maintained by the Archaeological Survey of India and Temple Trust Board. Shivratri is the major festival being celebrated here.
- The entrance door is made out of sandalwood, which is relative very strong
- It is estimated that around 6,000 visitors come to this temple every day
Jeypore is one of the place in Odisha, which is having really very nice scenic beauty. The dense forests and wonderful waterfall, has taken attention of many of the tourists here.The tourists can even see some of the different tribal people here. This place has recently done quite a good progress in the commercial sector. The place is also having some of the mineral resource.
- Gupteshwar Caves, Deomali, Kolab falls, Patroput are visited by many of the tourists
- Jeypore literally means “The city of victory”
6. Chandipur Beach
The Chandipur Beach is one of the marvelous beaches in Odisha. The beautifully maintained beaches, along with nice delicious dishes around the beach has really attracted many people here. The waves coming from the sea really looks mind blowing. Any of the person coming here can really feel relax here.
- The Baleswar railway station is near from the Chandipur Beach
- This beach has got highest number of visitors in whole Odisha
7. Konark Sun Temple
Konark Sun Temple is a popular temple. This temple is dedicated to the Sun God. This temple is equipped with very nice architecture. The beautiful walls, pillars, wheels and gigantic chariot looks really very fabulous. The temple being near from the Puri and Bhubaneshwar, it has many of the visitors coming here throughout.
- This temple has been featured in the seven wonders of India
- Konark Sun temple has used the iron beams for its construction
Rourkela is a famous city in Odisha for the various steel plants set up here. This city is also called as the “Steel city of Odisha”. In the year 2016, this city was included in the list of smart city scheme. There are many of the other attractive places her like Green Park, Vaishno Devi temple, Darjeeng, Nehru Traffic Park, etc. which are constantly attracting the tourists here.
- Rourkela is also known as “Ispat Nagar”
- The word Rourkela is originated from word Sadri (Your Home) which is a tribal word
9. Ratnagiri Monastery
Ratnagiri Monastery include different statues of the Buddha, stupas. This place is also near from the Udayagiri, Lalitgiri and Pushpagiri. The massive excavation has discover many such statues. Various tourist do like visiting this place and different visitors can be easily seen here.
- The largest stupas discovered here is around 47 feet in height which looks amazing
- Recently government has considerably encouraged the tourists here with several facilities
10. Chilika Lake
The Chilika lake is one of the very beautiful lakes in India. The Chilika lake happens to be the largest coastal lagoons in India. This lake is home to many of the different kinds of fishes and birds. The fishes are in very large quantity in this lake. The arrival of different migratory birds is another attractive thing regarding this lake. The tourists visit here in very large numbers every year to enjoy this wonderful ecosystem.
- The species like marine seaweeds, crabs, fishes and sea grasses can be found here
- The government has given great priority for the conservation of this lake
Thanks for visiting 10 Tips!