Image courtesy: Manu Manohar
Chennai is one of the important cities situated in the South India. Chennai is one of the main commercial centers in South India. Recently Chennai has even become one of the important IT hub in South India. Lonely planet has ranked Chennai as the 9th best cosmopolitan city in the world. The wonderful environment and clean climate has attracted many of the health tourist here. Many of the other tourists also do visit Chennai form all parts of the world. However, while traveling in Chennai it is very necessary to avoid certain things, otherwise it may lead to some complication. So, let’s see some of the 10 things to avoid in Chennai:
1. Keeping wallets in back pocket
There are many of the places which are safe enough to travel freely. However, there are still some of the place in Chennai which are not safe for you wallet. There are some of the pick pocketers in some areas who are constantly looking for stealing. The wallet kept in the back pocket is always unsafe. So, the only solution to this is keeping the wallet in the front pocket.
- There are some of the tourists which had experienced the stealing of their wallets in some areas in Chennai
- Many places in Chennai are really safe enough to travel
2. Visiting unknown places lonely
Some of the places in Chennai are a little tricky. The new comer can easily lost their ways, if they are not alert. So, it is recommended that the travelers should not travel lonely in areas which they are not familiar with, they may get lost.Also, some of the areas are dangerous it may be very unsafe for a stranger here.
- Some of the markets in Chennai are having a little confusing roads which is difficult to remember for a new person
- The language barrier is another problem for a lonely traveler
3. Not carrying the id proofs
When you are traveling in the Chennai, you may face occasional check ups from various government officials. These check ups are usually due to the security reasons. If you do not have a necessary id proof then you may have to face certain problems. Any of the id proof like Pan card, Aadhar card, Driving License, etc. can work out very easily.
- Some of the tourists in Chennai had experienced occasional check ups
- Carrying the id proofs can easily minimize many problems on certain occasions
4. Disrespecting the local language
Most of the Tamilian people do not know the Hindi language, they speak mostly in Tamil. They are very proud of their language. So, while traveling never in any way try to disrespect the local language. If you do not know Tamil language, it is not a problem, however you should surely respect the local language here.
- Tamil language is the most spoken language in Chennai and Tamil Nadu
- It is very difficult for non-Tamilian to understand this language
5. Eating in any restaurant
When in Chennai, it is not that simple to go and eat in any unknown restaurants. As most the restaurants in the Chennai have the flavor of South Indian food style. Also, major food items found here are idli, dosa, sambhar, etc. which is liked by many people in Chennai. However, some traveler may not like frequently eating South Indian dishes. So, knowing the proper restaurants where desired food can be found is necessary.
- The South Indian dishes like Idli, Dosa, Uttapa, and many more South Indian dishes are available in most of the parts of India
- There are plenty of different restaurants in the Chennai city
6. Polluting the beaches
The beaches in Chennai are one of the favorite destinations of the tourists visiting here. The soothing beaches gives a very calming experience to the people visiting here. Another specialty of the beaches are that they are very clean and a very less amount of dirt can be found here. Nobody will like polluting these beaches, so avoid polluting these beaches and have wonderful experience with these beautiful beaches.
- Several regulations are led down on the different beaches in the Chennai
- Marina beach is the most popular beach in the Chennai
7. Saying bad about Tollywood actors
The people of Chennai are great fans of the Tamilian movies. The craze of Tollywood is such that, the movies of great actors are always seen houseful in first month after release. The Tamilian people greatly admire and respect the Tollywood actors like Rajnkanth, Kamal Hasan,etc. Any outside person saying any bad for these actors will not be tolerated by the people of Chennai.
- “Rajnikanth” is the most celebrated and respected actor in the Chennai
- One needs to have advance booking to watch the new movies of popular actors
8. Going out without umbrella
The weather in Chennai is very hot during the summer season , compared to the other parts of India. So, it is always recommended that the tourists always carry an umbrella to protect from severe heat. Also, carrying the umbrellas in the rainy season can protect them from the heavy rains. Many people of Chennai regularly use the umbrellas on regular basis.
- The temperature in Chennai also goes beyond 40 degree in the summer season
- There are many of the shops which offers the umbrellas in Chennai
9. Going out without water bottle
Chennai being very hot region in the South India, the temperature here is always high. Due to high temperature there is more amount of dehydration. So, the new travelers should always carry a water bottle along with them. Taking a water bottle will surely ensure a safe and nice travel in Chennai.
- The temperature in summer goes beyond 40 degree in Chennai
- The availability of water is less in some regions of Chennai
10. Asking help from unknown person
When you are in Chennai, do avoid taking the help from the unknown person. Some of the tourists had a bad experience, where they tried taking hep from the unknown person and finally they end up getting cheated. There may be some people may turn out fraudulent in guise of helping you. So, avoiding the help from the unknown person is always better for the safety purpose.
- Some of the tourist had faced fraudulence , while taking help from an unknown person
- It is always better one takes a known person to travel in Chennai
Thanks for visiting 10 Tips!