Image Courtesy: Venkatesh Katta
Andaman is one of the interesting places in the world. There are many of the spots in the Andaman Islands which attracts the tourists from all over the world. The island is home to some of the tribal groups living here since long time. However, there are some of the things in Andaman that many of the people may not be aware of. So, here we will see some of the 10 Things to Know about Andaman. Many of the people may get surprised by knowing this facts.
1. Bengali, Andamanese and Nicobarese are the most widely spoken language here
The most common language spoken here is Bengali, Andamanese and Nicobarese. However, there are other indigenous languages too, which are spoken mostly in remote areas and tribal areas.
- Apart from that English is also spoken by some people
- Many Bengali people can be found in Andaman
2. Very large sea turtles are found here
There are many of the large sized sea turtles found in the Andaman. There are basically four species of turtle found here olive ridley, green turtle, hawksbill and leatherback turtle. Many tourists like to see these big sized turtles.
- Since 1977, there has been ban on hunting the turtles.
- Many of the tribal people hunt these turtles for food
3. The 20 Rupee note has image of Andaman Islands
The 20 Rupee note has the natural scene images of Andaman Islands. It’s the beauty of this Island that is reflected on the note. The image of the Andaman on the note is a matter of big pride for Andaman’s people.
- Very few people know that the image on 20 rupee note is from Andaman
- It reflects the pride of natural beauty in Andaman
4. In World War 2, the Andaman and Nicobar Island were only Indian Territory to be occupied by Japan
During the World War 2, the Japanese forces occupied the Andaman Islands in the year 1942. They managed to hold the islands till their defeat in the World War 2. Freedom fighter Subhashchandra Bose visited the island and hosted the tricolor flag.
- In December 1943, the Andaman Island was named as “Shahid Dweep” (Martyr Island)
- Many of the soldiers were died in the Japanese attack
5. There are different varieties of butterflies in Andaman
There are various species of butterflies in the Andaman. Many of the tourists like to visit the areas where they can find these different butterflies. The natural beauty of Andaman looks more stunning with these butterflies.
- Andaman Crow, Tree Nymph butterfly, Tamil lacewing, Kaiser-i-hind, etc. are some of the species of butterflies
- After Tsunami waves in Andaman, there has been some decrease in butterflies here
6. Dugong is the state animal of Andaman
There are many of the “Dugongs” found in the Andaman Island. This animal is having a peculiar body shape, which looks attractive. Due to vast coastal area in Andaman, this animal can be easily found here.
- Dugong is also called as “the sea cow”
- One can find many Dugong in Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park
7. Many Indian freedom fighters were in Cellular Jail in Andaman
Earlier during the British Raj in India, there were many of the freedom fighters deported to the Cellular Jail in Andaman. This Cellular Jail was one of the strongest jails in British India.
- Freedom Fighters like Veer Savarkar and Batukeshwar Dutt were in this jail
- The cellular jail is now a national memorial monument
8. Tribal groups in Andaman do not interact with tourists
There are various tribal groups in Andaman like Jarawa, Onge, Sentinelese, etc. which are residing since long time. These tribal people never interact with tourists nor do they welcome the tourists.
- The tourists are cautioned from visiting tribal areas in Andaman
- The tribal people may attack the tourists in Andaman
9. Word “Andaman” is derived from Malay language
The word Andaman is derived from Malaya language. The Malay word “Andaman” means Hindu deity Hanuman. Very few people are aware of the fact that it is named after the deity Hanuman.
- Andaman Island is a very ancient island
- Andaman is a very awesome place for the tourist loving beaches
10. In: Andaman Islands commercial fishing is banned
In recent years there has been an uncontrolled fishing activities carried out in Andaman. This has endangered many of the different variety of fishes, so government has banned the commercial fishing activities in Andaman.
- There are large varieties of fishes in the Andaman
- Tourist likes to watch different species of fishes here
These are some of the 10 things in Andaman that one must surely know. Andaman is a very favorite place of many of the tourists.
Thanks for visiting 10 Tips!