Image Courtesy: Vinoth Chandar.
Kerala is a land of surprises. Living up to the title of God’s own country, the state offers amazing landscapes, serene backwaters, and a dash of culture, all of which make it one of the premier destinations of travel in India. Hill stations with dense tea and coffee plantations and a mesmerizing view of the hills are one of the many attractions.
Munnar has grown in popularity ever since its picturesque locations have been used to film romantic scenes. The tea plantation at Munnar is just as famous and very popular in the southern region of the country. The TATA tea museum located here is evidence of the significance of a land like Munnar.
- Best time to visit Munnar is October to May.
- Eravikulam National Park and Mattupetty Dam and lake are attractions.
Ah! Vagamon is nothing short of a paradisaical hill station with is beautiful meadows, scenic view of the hills, and the lush green of the forests. The land’s beauty is all beyond what man could ever achieve. This is nature at its best. The animals of the land all gather together by the water body in an inexplicable act of nature.
- Best time to visit Vagamon is in summer from March to May.
- Thangal Para and Mundakayam Ghat are attractions
Situated amidst thick mountains and long stretch of rivers, Wayanad is one of the favorite hill station destinations among travelers and tourists. Ideal for a weekend getaway, the spice plantation in the region along with the rainforest and scenic waterfalls offer a lot of adventure for any traveler.
- The best time to visit Wayanad is from October to May.
- Chembra Peak and Soochippara Waterfalls are favorite destinations
Ranni located in the Pathanamthitta district is one of the hill stations of Kerala that is under a phase of development. It is one of the fastest growing tourist destinations as the establishment of rubber producing industries has amplified its progress in Kerala. Referred to as the Queen of Kerala, Ranni offers a different perspective of Kerala travel.
- Best time to visit Ranni is from September to May.
- St. Thomas Orthodox Church is a popular attraction.
5. Sulthan Bathery
Equipped with its own transportation hub, Sulthan Bathery popularly known as Ganapativattom, a name given to it based on its major piece of attraction. Historical significance of the place is right from the 18th century when the Kidangans lived here. Tipu Sultan, the king of the land built a Jain temple and used it as his bathery. It has been known as Sultans Battery ever since.
- The best time to visit Sulthan Bathery is December to April.
- Maha Ganapathi Temple and the Jain Temple are attractions.
Located at an altitude of 750 m close to the scenic mountain range of Kottancheri and Talacauvery, Ranipuram shares borders of both Karnataka and Kerala. Formerly referred to as Madathumala, the hill station has an appreciable cover of green, lush forests with the Madathumala range of rain-forests.
- The evergreen shola woods and grasslands are popular sites of attraction.
- Ranipuram national park
Adventure freaks and enthusiasts who look to achieve a thrill of their life would find it all in a weekend’s trip to Thekkady. In a rare opportunity, you will be exposed to the wild side of Kerala at Thekkady, literally wild. With a wildlife sanctuary in the vicinity, the place is one of the favorite of fans of exotic and endangered animals.
- Best time to visit Thekkady is from September to May.
- Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary and Vandanmedu are popular attractions
Idukki is one of the richest ecological attractions and hill stations in Kerala. The place is very popular among environmental enthusiasts who look to capture nature’s beauty with their lens. Idukki presents it in its finest. With elephant rides, mountain treks, wildlife sanctuaries, and spice plantations, this hill station features on almost all itinerary lists.
- Best time to visit Idukki is from October to February.
- Idukki Wildlife Sanctuary, Kalliyanathandu and Idukki Arch Dam are attractions.
9. Silent Valley
One of the most authentic traveling experiences is offered in Silent Valley, Kerala. It is a mixed bag of excitement, natural beauty, adventure, and peace. The silent valley plantations offer dense lush green beauty to the place. It is home to the most diverse exotic plants and animals at the Silent Valley National Park.
- The best time to visit Silent Valley is December to April.
- You can stay at Vision Nature Resorts
The tale of the enchanted land of Ponmudi is popular among locals and tourists alike. The scenic beauty of the hill station is known only to a few who chose to travel by road. The road is a mark of its beauty with the sound of the river close by, nature’s finest flowers, and the exotic butterflies all around, the destination is best enjoyed sitting next to your loved one.
- Best time to visit Ponmudi is from January to March.
- The Golden Valley and Meenmutty waterfalls are attractions
Every traveler’s to-do list features a trip around these Kerala hill stations. The magnificence of nature and a dash of proper human intervention have made the place a paradise. Happy Journey!
Thanks for visiting 10 Tips!